32.2 C
Sunday, February 5, 2023

Kafaba Alleged Lynching Case Transferred to Tamale High Court; Suspects to Reappear on September 18

A Bole Magistrate Court presided over by His Worship Justice Andrew Prince Cudjoe on Thursday August 20 referred the cases involving some seven suspects in the alleged murder of Akua Denteh, 90, an alleged witch in Kafaba in the East Gonja Municipality to the office of State Attorney for advice after a second hearing.

The respective cases thus;  the State vs. Haruna Aness & 4 others, the State vs. Latifah Bumaye, and the State vs. Serena Mohammed were consolidated onto one charge sheet. The Chief state Attorney for the Savannah, North East, and Northern regions Mr. Salia Abdul Kudus explained to ZAMI Reports that though the suspects were all arrested and charged on three (3) different occasions, “they were all charged for conspiracy and murder” hence the need to merge the cases for further trial.

The suspects are; Haruna Aness, 34, Issifa Tanko, 35, Shaibu Muntala, 29, Sulemana Ali, 35, and Issifa Zakyibo, 32, Latifah Bumaye, 25, and Serena Mohammed. They were remanded to prison custody and will reappear in the Tamale High Court on September 18 2020.

Serena Mohammed, 40, appeared in court for the second time after she was apprehended on Tuesday August 4 at her hideout at Yeji in the Bono East region for masterminding the alleged lynching of the late Akua Denteh after been on the run for thirteen (13) days.

Ghanaians on July 23 woke up to a horrific news of the alleged lynching of an alleged witch by some people in the Kafaba community. Information gathered by ZAMI Reports indicated Akua Denteh was accused by some youth of witchcraft and suspected to be behind the retarded development of the Kafaba community.

Her denial of the accusations sparked outrage in the community after some members had invited the self-styled soothsayer Serena Mohammed,  a resident of Yeji to perform the rites of exorcism on her and some twenty three women in parts of the Savannah region.

Viral videos captured by onlookers on Wednesday July 22 showed how the late Akua Denteh was tortured by some women under the supervision of Sirina Mohammed. The deceased became unconscious and died on Thursday July 23 in Salaga after been rescued by one of the onlookers.

Read Also:


The Salaga Divisional Police arrested some suspects including the chief of Kafaba, Seidu  Yahaya, on July 28 who was used as a “bait” that led to the arrest of the first  five persons.

Eredon Gien Joseph|www.zamireports.com|Bole|Savannah Region

Related Articles

Stay Connected

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles